Skip to main content

Lord of the rings Strategy Battle Game

Well, I don't get much time to paint these days but I thought I would give the LOTR strategy game from Games Workshop a try. I didn't get into this when the Peter Jackson films were out as it seemed such a work in progress. The Fellowship of the Ring wasn't really enough for a proper figures game and even by the Two Towers, the different powers of Middle Earth were not really developed enough, so it is only in hindsight that you can pick a decent army or two to play. Otherwise you are just ending up with the standard goblins and Minis Tirith men. In the early days then the boxed set seems to have included Eleves and Men from the Last Alliance, which is really that satisfying. Are you playing something from the end of the Second Age or from the Third Age and time of the Fellowship.

Obviously not going to pay the outlandish prices of Games Workshop which also have to pay the pockets of New line Cinema. I don't mind paying the Tolkein Estate at least they have some link to the old Prof. So it was a scouring of the Ebay listings to see what was on offer. Lets see if we can understand the rules and get some decent figures at a decent price.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legolas Greenleaf

Well got some of the first figures in from Ebay for the LOTR strategy battle game. They are a mixed bag and I am always amazed at how badly painted and prepared most of the figures are. It is as if no one has ever seen White Dwarf or the Games Workshop website and haven't a clue. Learn how to use a brush. The most overused and innacurate statement on Ebay for Games Workshop figures is Pro Painted! Anyway this is the first example, I am going to tackle, our little pointed ear friend Legolas Greenleaf, prince of Mirkwood and son to Tharanduil. He appears to have green hair in the figure that I have got, so much work to be done to turn him into a decent figure again. I got the whole Fellowship on their presentation stand as one of my first purchases and I will go through the reasons for which models I got in a future post.

Dark Elves Spearmen and Repeater Crossbows

Some shots of my Dark Elf force, this army has been reasonably successful, and this is with it using a Black Dragon as a mount for the Dark Elf General. Depsite putting mega pts into this arrangement it seems to work. The army colours use an antique gold for the helments and extra metal fittings with a purple for cloth. Also have leather details in a creamy leather for that flayed looked. The Dark Elves Spearmen unit uses a mix of figures, there are some older metal figures in there for most of the spearmen, the champion and the musician, whilst there are also a few of the newer plastic figures. I also used a mix of shield designs, some hand painted and some with plastic skulls, but all using the skull motif. The Repeater Crossbow Dark Elves also use a mix of metal and plastic figures, tied together with the same colour scheme. The unit has no standard but does have a musician.

Coby Digital Photo Frames

Added details on Coby digital photo frames and Parrott digital picture frames to another site I run which has details on digital photo frames. I have found them a great way to view my digital photos which otherwise just get stuck on your computer. But it is hard to find information on them so you can look at www.digitalphoto-frames.co.uk for information about these and other manufacturers of digital frames such as Philips, Kodak and Cibox.